The Senior High Youth Group at St. James the Less builds relationships, motivation and skills for ‘walking the talk’ as a Christian in fellowship with the Ashland community and the larger world. As part of our yearly activities, we engage in a number of the church outreach activities such as helping with CARITAS, and leading the SJTL Hanover ARC Christmas Gift program. We also seek to assist in restoring and building communities through Tri-Cities Work Camp and a service trip each summer.
The Senior High Youth Group Outreach efforts and activities include:
- Gathering supplies for the Ashland Christian Emergency Society (ACES) through an annual scavenger hunt.
- Leading the congregation's Christmas gift program for Hanover ARC to provide gifts for needy children in Hanover County.
- Day-trips to larger communities, such as Washington, DC, to assist with efforts to feed homeless people.
- Tri-Cities work camp in Petersburg, VA to renovate homes.
- Mission trips to assist with disaster relief (e.g., flooding in Iowa; disaster relief after Hurricane Katrina; a rebuild project on Staten Island following Hurricane Sandy) and to provide service to others (e.g., assisting with trail maintenance at National Parks).